The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

12:29 PM

The Unbecoming of Mara DyerTitle: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books For Young Readers
Release: September 27, 2011
Pages: 464
Series: Mara Dyer #1
ADVANCE COPY PROVIDED BY SIMON & SCHUSTER CANADA
Synopsis:
Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.
 
It can.
 
She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.
 
There is.
 
She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.

She's wrong.

Review:
I received this book in the mail a while back (before the Canada Post strike/ lock out) and I could not wait to dive in to it. I had seen the cover and a countdown on another blog and had thought about how gorgeous the cover was. When I stumbled across the official synopsis later, I was beyond curious. Needless to say that when it showed up, I was reading it ASAP! Did I enjoy it? Yes multiplied by a million.

When I first saw the cover of this book, I wanted to know more about it immediately. Who are the two characters on the cover? Is the male a antagonist? Is he a love interest? What are his intentions? How about the girl? Is she in trouble? Why are they underwater? These were some of the first questions I thought upon looking at this cover. After my initial thoughts, I fell in love with this cover and felt drawn to read the book.

The lead character in this novel was Mara Dyer. She had recently gone through a tragedy involving her closest friends, which lead her family to move to sunny Florida to help Mara put her memories behind her and obtain a fresh start. Enter Noah, the care free bad boy with a even worse reputation to boot. The process that brought romance between these two characters was NOT instant, which I found very refreshing. I very much enjoyed these characters because of how they were very realistic. They were like real teenagers to me. Amongst the secondary characters I also had some favorites. One of them being Jamie. I loved Jamie for how genuine he seemed.

My one problem with this book lies in the language that was often used. At times it seemed a little excessive. Apart from that one point, I loved the writing for this novel. It was amazingly submersing for the reader and it was uber-intriguing. Plus, there were unexpected points of humour throughout the book, often through the banter that passed between Noah and Mara. The storyline itself was very mysterious and full of twists and turns you would never see coming. Especially the ending. I never in a million years saw that coming.

I cannot wait for the next book in this series, and until then I give The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer a 5/5 despite my dislike of some of the language used. This book was a never-let-you-go thrill ride that I would recommend to anyone, especially someone who likes very mysterious books with a hint of paranormal added in.

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. YAY, good to see another awesome review of this book! I SO cannot wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is sooo GOOD! I LOVED IT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first review I've read of the book and I've been dying to read it. I'm glad that it lived up to the hype!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It truly has! I could not put it down- as cliche as that sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so jealous you got an ARC of this, I can't wait to read it!! Thanks for a great review:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love getting feedback or just say Hi!

Blog Lovin

Follow

Currently Reading

Walt Disney: An American Original

NetGalley

Professional Reader