Misfit by Jon Skovron

12:00 PM

MisfitTitle: Misfit
Author: Jon Skovron
Publisher: ABRAMS
Release: August 1, 2011
Pages: 384
Series: Unknown
Synopsis:
Jael has always felt like a freak. She’s never kissed a boy, she never knew her mom, and her dad’s always been superstrict—but that’s probably because her mom was a demon, which makes Jael half demon and most definitely not a normal sophomore girl. On her sixteenth birthday, a mysterious present unlocks her family’s dangerous history and Jael’s untapped potential. What was merely an embarrassing secret before becomes a terrifying reality. Jael must learn to master her demon side in order to take on a vindictive Duke of Hell while also dealing with a twisted priest, best-friend drama, and a spacey blond skater boy who may have hidden depths.

Review:
After reading the synopsis of Misfit, I wanted to read it right away. It had a very intriguing concept, a half demon lead character trying to fit in. Demons are not as covered in YA fiction, so I knew I could not pass up the chance to read this unique book. And when I did, I had some mixed feelings about the book.

The cover of Misfit is fairly simple. It simple features the title and some smoke as a background. Unlike many other book covers, it does not feature a model or symbolic object. I found the cover to be a little too plain for my taste, but it certainly was not the worst cover I have ever seen. Overall, the cover could have used a bit more detail in my opinion.

The main character of Misfit was an okay protagonist. At times I could find her a little frustrating because she seemingly forgot about her best friend when her uncle showed up and she found out she was special. Aside from that detail, I didn't mind Jael. The other characters however, I found to be not as developed as I would have hoped for. I didn't mind the supporting characters, I just didn't find them to be that in depth. My favorite of all the supporting characters was probably Jael's father. I liked him because he was the most developed of the supporting characters and I got to learn some of his motives behind his actions through flashbacks throughout the story.

The pacing of this book was a weak point for me. I found that there would be very slow points in the book and then it would speed up into an action scene. I would have been more satisfied if the action scenes had been more evenly spread throughout the book. The writing of Misfit was quite detailed and interesting. I did enjoy the writing, and it never lost me along the way with facts or names.

When all was said and done, Misfit made for a good, simple read, and outside of the plot being fairly slow, the book came together fairly well. In my opinion it deserves a 3.5/5 overall.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thanks for commenting! I love getting feedback or just say Hi!

Blog Lovin

Follow

Currently Reading

Walt Disney: An American Original

NetGalley

Professional Reader