Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

12:24 PM

Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices #1)Title: Clockwork Angel
Author: Cassandra Clare
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry
Release: August 31, 2010
Pages: 476
Series: The Infernal Devices #1
Synopsis:
Magic is dangerous--but love is more dangerous still.

When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos.

Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What's more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own.

Friendless and hunted, Tessa takes refuge with the Shadowhunters of the London Institute, who swear to find her brother if she will use her power to help them. She soon finds herself fascinated by--and torn between--two best friends: James, whose fragile beauty hides a deadly secret, and blue-eyed Will, whose caustic wit and volatile moods keep everyone in his life at arm's length...everyone, that is, but Tessa. As their search draws them deep into the heart of an arcane plot that threatens to destroy the Shadowhunters, Tessa realizes that she may need to choose between saving her brother and helping her new friends save the world...and that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.

Review:
I read all of The Mortal Instruments series fairly recently and I knew I had to read any other books she had out. I dove into Clockwork Angel and read it just as fast as I read all of The Mortal Instruments series. In this novel, we discover a new cast of characters living in the same world that The Mortal Instruments series is set in. The distinct difference between the two sets of books is the time difference. The characters in this novel were very unique. I found I really enjoyed reading about Tessa and her journey into the heart of shadows and mystery. And of the two possible love interests, I could not actually decide which I liked better. They both were awesome characters and I would be happy if she chose either. As in true Cassandra Clare style, the writing was deep and full of amazing, shocking twists in the plot that I did not see coming. And of course the end. The huge cliffhanger ending that left me begging for the next one, but since that isn't for a few months I will give Clockwork Angel a 5/5 until then.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Can't wait to read this one!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the novel, but thought Tessa was a pretty weak character for the first 2/3 of the novel. But I have wrote about that at length here:

    http://theoncominghope.blogspot.com/2011/02/review-cassandra-clare-angel.html

    Let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love getting feedback or just say Hi!

Blog Lovin

Follow

Currently Reading

Walt Disney: An American Original

NetGalley

Professional Reader