The Host by Stephenie Meyer

5:05 PM

Title: The Host
Author: Stephenie Meyer
Publisher: Back Bay Books
Release: May 6, 2008
Rating: 3.5/5
Series: Unknown
Synopsis:
Stephenie Meyer, creator of the phenomenal teen-vamp Twilight series, takes paranormal romance into alien territory in her first adult novel. Those wary of sci-fi or teen angst will be pleasantly surprised by this mature and imaginative thriller, propelled by equal parts action and emotion. A species of altruistic parasites has peacefully assumed control of the minds and bodies of most humans, but feisty Melanie Stryder won't surrender her mind to the alien soul called Wanderer. Overwhelmed by Melanie's memories of fellow resistor Jared, Wanderer yields to her body's longing and sets off into the desert to find him. Likely the first love triangle involving just two bodies, it's unabashedly romantic, and the characters (human and alien) genuinely endearing. Readers intrigued by this familiar-but-alien world will gleefully note that the story's end leaves the door open for a sequel--or another series.

Review:

First off, the only reason I read this was because I had absolutely nothing else to read so I was kinda, who am I kidding, very desperate. So I turned to The Host. At first I started to read it and got bored 13 pages in. Yes, it only took 13 pages. So then I returned it to the library. Then almost a year later I was faced with the same dilemma but this time a friend had told me that the book was great with a great ending, so I tried it again. This time I sucked it up (haha, bad vampire - Stephenie Meyer joke) and just kept plowing through. Eventually I was just past halfway through when suddenly, I started to actually like it! I was shocked. So I kept reading and finished it and, surprisingly didn't mind it at all. In fact, I might have liked it a teensy weensy bit. But that's all. Nothing more.

The cover. In my oh so humble opinion, the cover was nothing better then alright. I mean I am soo glad she didn't try and make it look too adult book-ish and she stayed away from using the same theme as the Twilight covers, but it didn't really draw me in. I know it's bad to judge books by their covers, but seriously that's what a cover is there for, to draw attention towards the book. I mean I get how she was trying to illustrate to the reader how the eyes of a host's body look, but I think it could have been done a lot differently.
For the characters, I loved how Stephenie was able to work the relationship between Wanderer (or Wanda as she becomes later in the book) and Melanie. I can see that would be a huge task to be able to make the relationships and interactions between the other characters and Melanie/Wanda as realistic as she did. It was a big job that she accomplished proving that she does have great potential for more books after this one.
PS: One thing that didn't understand was how this book could ever be considered a adult book. The story is most defiantly YA fiction and not adult fiction. I can see having 14+ pirnted inside the flap or on the back as many books do, but I, at least, don't think this is adult fiction even though I'm sure adults will enjoy it.

PSS: I promise this is the last one :). The reason the rating is so low is because how long it takes to get good. That's all.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. When I read it I was under the impression it was YA lol...it wasn't until I saw it at Borders in the Adult section that I figured it out. I agree...totally YA. I enjoyed it though, but felt it dragged in spots.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love getting feedback or just say Hi!

Blog Lovin

Follow

Currently Reading

Walt Disney: An American Original

NetGalley

Professional Reader