Author Interview Week: Day One

1:00 AM


Day 1:

Where did you come up with the idea for your book?

Elana Johnson: I had just started writing, and with that came a flood of reading. I read UGLIES by Scott Westerfeld, and thought, “I want to write a book like that.” Of course, I had no idea what “that” was. So I did some Googling and found out about the dystopian genre. Then I wrote POSSESSION.

Brenda Pandos: My Talisman Trilogy stemmed from the sudden popularity in vampires at the time and I simply wondered what my story would be. Blade, Lost Boys, Interview with a Vampire, and Buffy were my chief influences. For Mer Tales, I’ve been in love with mermaids for as long as I could remember and Little Mermaid and Splash left a huge impact on me. As far as the people and situations, I’m pretty sure they came from my subconscious taking all my experiences, churned with my over active imagination and love to solve a puzzle,  mixed together. The storyline pops out bit by bit, shower by shower (‘cause that’s where I get most of my ideas) until it’s completed.

Jodi Meadows: The whole story actually happened to me in a past life. I tried to publish Incarnate as a memoir, because it's all totally true, but no one believed me so I had to change the genre and publish it as YA fiction. And since I was calling it fiction, anyway, I added more kissing.
(That answer may or may not be a lie.)

Kathleen Peacock: I had the idea for Hemlock while walking to work one morning. I was listening to music and “It’s Been Awhile” by Staind started playing. A scene just unfolded in my head. Three friends—characters who would eventually become, Mac, Jason, and Kyle—being torn apart by secrets. When I decided I wanted to try and write a novel, I was drawn back to that scene and those characters.

Jeyn Roberts: Dark Inside was based on a series of dreams I used to have when I was a teenager. I used to dream about this very dark world where I was always hiding out with a group of people while crazy monsters disguised as humans roamed the streets. In fact, some of the scenes in DI are actual dreams! I was a very unusual teenager.

Jill Hathaway: First I came up with the idea of a girl finding herself standing over a dead body with no idea what happened. The idea of sliding evolved from that.

Lindsay Cummings: It came to me in a dream, actually, after reading an article about how bad the world was getting to be in terms of murders and things. I wanted to bring that to the light!


PT Michelle: Most of my books' ideas start out as a "what if" scenario. With BRIGHTEST KIND OF DARKNESS, I asked myself..."What if I dreamed my next day, but only ONE day ahead?" Of course, then I had to create just the right kind of characters to put into a scenario like this. :)

Come back tomorrow for a new question!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thanks for commenting! I love getting feedback or just say Hi!

Blog Lovin

Follow

Currently Reading

Walt Disney: An American Original

NetGalley

Professional Reader