Torment by Lauren Kate

9:02 PM

Title: Torment
Author: Lauren Kate
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Release: September 28, 2010
Pages: 452
Series: Fallen #2
Synopsis:
Hell on earth. That's what it's like for Luce to be apart from her fallen angel boyfriend, Daniel. It took them an eternity to find one another, but now he has told her he must go away. Just long enough to hunt down the Outcasts - immortals who want to kill Luce. Daniel hides Luce at Shoreline, a school on the rocky California coast with unusually gifted students -Nephilim, the offspring of fallen angels and humans.

At Shoreline, Luce learns what the Shadows are, and how she can use them as windows to her previous lives. Yet the more Luce learns, the more she suspects that Daniel hasn't told her everything. He's hiding something - something dangerous. What if Daniel's version of the past isn't actually true? What if Luce is really meant to be with someone else? The second novel in the addictive FALLEN series . . . where love never dies.

Review:
Okay, for any of you who have read my review of Fallen, you know that I thought it was a pretty good book, it had flaws but it was fairly good. So going on that I started Torment fairly soon after Fallen and then life happened. I had other things I needed to do and of course I got tempted once again into reading other books at the same time which meant that this one got pushed to the bottom of the pile for no particular reason. Though once I did finish it I was a little disappointed with it.

The cover for both Fallen and Torment are gorgeous with the cover models in the black dresses, but with totally different backdrops. In Fallen she is clearly at Sword & Cross, and on Torment she's clearly at Shoreline. How can I tell? The coast in the background was a hint. The other bits I like of the cover was the emotion that the model is portraying. It really was what Luce felt through the whole book: confusion and frustration. I also love the little touch of colour in the authors name. In case you didn't know from my theme, I love pink!

The characters are where this book starts to go down hill for me. I really didn't like how rude and controlling Daniel got to be in Torment. I mean I understand that he wanted to protect her, but he didn't need to be so much of a bully to Luce. I also didn't care for the way he just invited himself to Luce's for dinner or how he would just pop up without announcement after he said that they would have to be separated for 18 days. Then there's Luce. She just seemed to be so strong in one moment (which I loved!) when she was arguing with Daniel and then the next moment she was running back into his arms just to fight with him a couple minutes later. She just seemed to flip personalities too often for my tastes.

The writing in the book was good. The story kept moving and never got ridiculously slow, though I wasn't sold on all the events of the book. My favourite part of Torment had to be the ending though. I loved that Luce finally took a step back in order to think for herself for a change. It really did make me glad that she put some separation between her and Daniel , though I don't like how obsessed she was with her past reincarnations. Have you ever heard of the saying 'the past is the past'? I wish that this saying could have been used more in this book and that Torment would have focused more on the present. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't boring, it was entertaining though I didn't always like some aspects of the book.

Overall, Torment was a good read, though I wish somethings were different. Overall, it got a 3/5 because of the ending and the fact that it wasn't hard to read because it never got too slow or boring.


You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Great review! I thought the first book was decent, but it's disappointing to hear that how Daniel and Luce go down hill so much. Although I have to agree that the covers of these books are amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Review! This one took me a little long to get through but I ended up liking it. Daniel drove me NUTS! I don't like him at all. He was alright in ithe first book but in this one he was just terrible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to award you the Stylish Blogger award, congratulations! Keep up the great work. You can find out about the award here: http://preview.tinyurl.com/5rah42v Feel free to pass it on or just know your blog makes me happy. :)
    Katie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its always great to hear an honest review.... i had heard both good and bad things about this book, but I still bought both fallen and torment. Their currently sitting in my TBR pile. Thanks for sharing your thoughts :)

    Diana

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love getting feedback or just say Hi!

Blog Lovin

Follow

Currently Reading

Walt Disney: An American Original

NetGalley

Professional Reader