Interview with Michelle Hodkin, Author of The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

4:57 AM

Do I ever have a treat for you guys. This lady is the author of the already popular book The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, which I loved, and she has answered some of my questions. Let's get started:


1) Thanks for stopping by! Who was your favorite character to write?

I really do enjoy writing all of the characters, but Daniel, Joseph, and Jamie don’t give me trouble the way Mara and Noah sometimes do, so they tend to be the most fun.
2) Your book is based on true events. How did you find out about these events?

It was inspired by some events that actually happened; for example, the building that collapses in the book really did collapse, though I gave the building a fictional name and set it in a fictional town. The full story of how I was inspired to write the book will be posted on www.maradyer.com when it goes live.
3) As a teen going through high school, what was your favourite book?
The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

So hard to say; I remember discovering GEEK LOVE by Katherine Dunn in high school, and I still love it so much. I also loved (and love to this day) A WOMAN WARRIOR by Maxine Hong Kingston, LOLITA by Vladimir Nabokov, JURASSIC PARK by Michael Crichton, and THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY by Oscar Wilde.
4) My favourite question: what was your reaction to finding out you would be published?
When the book sold at auction to Simon & Schuster, I was out to dinner with one of my brothers, so the first thing I did was order dessert :)
5) Did you plan the end of The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer? If so, did it change along the way?
I’ve known the ending for the series since very early on, and knew that the events that occurred at the end of THE UNBECOMING would happen at some point in the story’s timeline, but I didn’t decide that THIS book would end precisely where it does until I was deep into the writing process. That said, it ended exactly the way it had to in order to get to where Mara’s story is eventually going to end up. I can’t wait to share more!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thanks for commenting! I love getting feedback or just say Hi!

Blog Lovin

Follow

Currently Reading

Walt Disney: An American Original

NetGalley

Professional Reader