Embrace by Jessica Shirvington

3:00 AM


Embrace (Embrace, #1)Title: Embrace 
Author: Jessica Shirvington
Publisher: Sourcebooks
Release: March 6, 2012
Pages: 367
Series: The Violet Eden Chapters #1
THANKS TO SOURCEBOOKS FOR THE ADVANCE COPY.
Synopsis:

It starts with a whisper: “It’s time for you to know who you are…” 

Violet Eden dreads her seventeenth birthday. After all, it’s hard to get too excited about the day that marks the anniversary of your mother’s death. As if that wasn’t enough, disturbing dreams haunt her sleep and leave her with very real injuries. There’s a dark tattoo weaving its way up her arms that wasn’t there before. 

Violet is determined to get some answers, but nothing could have prepared her for the truth. The guy she thought she could fall in love with has been keeping his identity a secret: he’s only half-human—oh, and same goes for her. 

A centuries-old battle between fallen angels and the protectors of humanity has chosen its new warrior. It’s a fight Violet doesn’t want, but she lives her life by two rules: don’t run and don’t quit. When angels seek vengeance and humans are the warriors, you could do a lot worse than betting on Violet Eden… 

Review:
After hearing all great things about this book, I knew I would have to read it sooner than later. All the hype was so positive that I had some initial fears about being the one to not like it, but that proved not to be an issue as soon as I began reading and could not put it down. The book grabbed my attention like none other and it truly drew me in.

The cover is simply unique and stunning. Even the ARC cover was great! I love the purple with the contrast against the black feathers and white smoke, the color palette truly was great with this cover! My favorite aspect of the cover are the smoky wings and font, implying that there are angels, but they don't have wings. Below it is the tagline "One day I'll tell you everything", which gives the book a mysterious feel and provokes the reader's imagination.

Let me just start by saying that Violet was one of my favorite protagonists I have read about in a very long time. She was brave and had a spine, she didn't take crap from anyone and she made her own independent decisions, putting her welfare on the line for others when it was necessary, but not just throwing her life around for anyone. On to Pheonix; he was not my taste, he seemed too possessive and secretive for Violet to be safe around. Enter Lincoln, the seemingly good guy, until Violet finds out he has been lying to her for as long as they've known each other, though it was for her own good. When it comes to Lincoln, I was a bit of a fence sitter as to whether I liked him or not, he had incredibly romantic moments, but he ultimately took Violet's choice away from her when he told her the truth. The group of lesser characters were great too, I particularly enjoyed Steph who could bring light to any situation.

The plot of Embrace was one of it's other great highlights, it sucked you in and kept you in it's grasp, wishing for more when the end came around. The ending was one that could drive a reader mad by forcing them to wait for more of their favorite characters and to see where their lives would go after the dramatic events of Embrace. The story was amazing, and it will go down in young adult book history for being a well balanced, fast paced book with events packed up to it's seams.

The end definitely left me wanting more of the characters and their stories. I would recommend this book to any YA fan, especially those who enjoy angel stories. I will be counting down the days until the next book comes out, but until it is released, I give this book a 5/5 for being such a success.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thanks for commenting! I love getting feedback or just say Hi!

Blog Lovin

Follow

Currently Reading

Walt Disney: An American Original

NetGalley

Professional Reader