Interview with Josephine Angelini, Author of Starcrossed

5:45 PM

Hello everyone! Today I have a special treat for you all! I recently got in contact and interviewed Josephine Angelini, author of Starcrossed (May 31, 2011 from HarperTeen). She was super sweet and fun to email with! Without further ado, the interview with Josephine Angelini:

1) First off, it's very nice to speak to you! Congratulations on your debut novel, the hype is building around your book and the positive reviews are pouring in. I know how excited you must be, but what is your favorite part of the process of being published so far?

So far my favorite part has been reaching out to people who want to read my book.  The enthusiasm and the energy I've been encountering have been really touching.  And I love giving ARCs away.  It's so much fun for me to sign them and put them in the mail, whether it's for fans in the, US, UK, Germany, the Philippines it's just such a great feeling!

2) I know that Helen has some of your traits, but if you could inherit a trait of Starcrossed's main character Helen, what would it be?

Flying.  Hands down I want to be able to fly.  I dream about it all the time, and that's the main reason I put it in the book.  I love flying dreams!

3) Do you look up to other authors? If so, who?

I've always looked up to Marion Zimmer Bradley.  Her Darkover series had a big impact on me when I was a kid.  And then of course there was The Mists of Avalon that I read when I was 13.  It literally changed the way I thought of myself as a woman.  MZB was a feminist who wrote action/adventure fantasy uncommon for a woman, even today.  And she started doing all this in the 50's, when women were frowned upon for leaving the kitchen!  Her female characters kick serious butt, but then again, so do her male characters.  She never thought a woman's strength had to come at the expense of a man's, and I've always agreed with her.  I have always looked up to her as a writer.  Plus, Darkover is just such a cool world.  It really speaks to the sci-fi geek in me!

4) As an author, name three things you can't live without.

In order to start writing in the morning I need my laptop, some coffee, and a cat.  Fresh flowers help, too.  Sometimes I just space out, staring at the beautiful blossoms.  It helps me think.

5) Have you always had an interest in Gods and Demigods?

I've always been fascinated by Greek mythology.  But then again, I've always loved fantasy and sci-fi, and myths are just really, really old fantasy stories when you get down to brass tacks.  I studied ancient Greek theatre in college, too, and the epic scope of these stories always moved me.  Gods and monsters, family quarrels and honor killings it's just so romantic.

6) Random question: Who is your favorite music artist?

Radiohead or Billie Holiday, it just depends on my mood.

7) I absolutely adore the US cover for Starcrossed! What do you think of it?  Did you get much say in the creation of the cover?

I love the cover too!!  And yes, my editor (Laura Arnold) listened to me about everything I wanted.  She even fought for me when I insisted that Helen's face shouldn't be on the cover b/c I wanted 'The Face' to be a mystery.  But even though I got a lot of say, I can't lay claim to how gorgeous the US cover turned out.  That was all due to the brilliance of the art department at Harper Collins and the impeccable taste of my editor.

8) When you began to write Starcrossed, did you know what the ending would be or did it change and evolve as you wrote the book?

I always know where I'm going before I start writing.  My process starts with extensive character bios, long and involved outlines, and then before I write 'Chapter One' I do what are called beats.  This means I have a list of all the action of the book. A step-by-step Helen wakes up.  Goes downstairs.  Jerry is already cooking breakfast. My timelines and my plotting are very precise.  I never get behind the wheel unless I know exactly where I'm going and how to get there.  And then I still discover stuff, and have to re-do my beats!  Frustrating, but worth the work.

9) Anything else you wish to say about yourself or your book?

I'm just enjoying the whole process right now.  I couldn't be happier with the way my book is being received.  It's thrilling and humbling at the same time. I feel very grateful.

Thank you so much to Josephine Angelini for joining me for this interview! I had a blast and loved her answers!

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Aww, she's so sweet and cool! Awesome interview, I really enjoyed her answers. I like flying dreams too.:))
    I'm dying to read the book, I've heard a lot of good things about it! And seriously... Gods?! Greek mythology? Mmm...*dies* :))

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love getting feedback or just say Hi!

Blog Lovin

Follow

Currently Reading

Walt Disney: An American Original

NetGalley

Professional Reader