Possession by Elana Johnson

4:54 PM

PossessionTitle: Possession
Author: Elana Johnson
Publisher: Simon & Schuster 
Release:  June 7, 2011
Pages: 416
Series: Possession #1
Source: Advance copy thanks to Simon & Schuster Canada
Synopsis:
Vi knows the Rule: Girls don't walk with boys, and they never even think about kissing them. But no one makes Vi want to break the Rules more than Zenn...and since the Thinkers have chosen him as Vi's future match, how much trouble can one kiss cause? The Thinkers may have brainwashed the rest of the population, but Vi is determined to think for herself.

But the Thinkers are unusually persuasive, and they're set on convincing Vi to become one of them...starting by brainwashing Zenn. Vi can't leave Zenn in the Thinkers' hands, but she's wary of joining the rebellion, especially since that means teaming up with Jag. Jag is egotistical, charismatic, and dangerous--everything Zenn's not. Vi can't quite trust Jag and can't quite resist him, but she also can't give up on Zenn.

This is a game of control or be controlled. And Vi has no choice but to play.

Review:
Recently I got a surprise package in the mail from Simon & Schuster Canada. I was pretty excited when I saw Possession after I opened that package. I had to finish reading another book before I could start in on Possession but as soon as I was done the other book, I dove into this one. It took me a while as I've been really busy lately, but I read whenever I could.

Needless to say, the cover is so cool (bad pun... I'm sorry). It features a butterfly trapped in a ice cube with a small drip coming off the corner. The whole theme of the cover is very simple but it works well. I love the assortment of fonts they use on this cover, especially the one they use for the authors name, it's very cursive looking. The colours on the cover just pop against the white background, putting focus on the butterfly and the tag line. I always seem to love simple covers, but I think they just appeal to me the most.

The characters in Possession were not my favorite. I found the main character, Violet, to be very indecisive and unsure of herself a lot of the time. One minute she was madly in love with Jag, and the next she didn't want to see him again, though often he did things to annoy her into this reaction. I also found Jag to be a little unpredictable, but in a kind of cute bad boy type way. I loved his bad boy attitude, it was a great contrast to Violet. Zenn was also enjoyable to read about, if not a little bit too safe at times. Needless to say, I am firmly on Team Jag.

The writing style that Elana has is very unique. It grabs you and holds you to each pages until you finish the book. In fact, even after the book is done you are left wondering and thinking about the book. The storyline however, was lacking at times. There was stretchs of time that lost me and left me wondering what had just happened, though there was a ton of awesome action and romance scenes along the way.

Overall, Possession was a decent dystopian read that anyone who has not read any dystopian should definately pick up. It did wet my appetite, and I will be picking up the next book when it comes out, but until then, Possession gets a 3.5/5.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thanks for commenting! I love getting feedback or just say Hi!

Blog Lovin

Follow

Currently Reading

Walt Disney: An American Original

NetGalley

Professional Reader