Incarnate by Jodi Meadows

3:45 AM

Incarnate (Newsoul, #1)Title: Incarnate
Author: Jodi Meadows
Publisher: HarperCollins Children's Books
Release: January 31, 2012
Pages: 384
Series: Newsoul #1
THANKS TO HARPERCOLLINS CANADA FOR THE ADVANCE REVIEW COPY.
Synopsis:
NEWSOUL
Ana is new. For thousands of years in Range, a million souls have been reincarnated over and over, keeping their memories and experiences from previous lifetimes. When Ana was born, another soul vanished, and no one knows why.

NOSOUL
Even Ana’s own mother thinks she’s a nosoul, an omen of worse things to come, and has kept her away from society. To escape her seclusion and learn whether she’ll be reincarnated, Ana travels to the city of Heart, but its citizens are suspicious and afraid of what her presence means. When dragons and sylph attack the city, is Ana to blame?

HEART
Sam believes Ana’s new soul is good and worthwhile. When he stands up for her, their relationship blooms. But can he love someone who may live only once, and will Ana’s enemies—human and creature alike—let them be together? Ana needs to uncover the mistake that gave her someone else’s life, but will her quest threaten the peace of Heart and destroy the promise of reincarnation for all?

Jodi Meadows expertly weaves soul-deep romance, fantasy, and danger into an extraordinary tale of new life.

Review:
After seeing the cover for Incarnate and reading the synopsis, I knew I would have to read it. When I recieved a copy in the mail, I read it in two days, it took all of my willpower to not read it in one day. I went in with fairly high expectations, the book sounded really good, and it had a gorgeous cover, I can happily say, my expectations were met.

The cover of this book is gorgeous; one of the best I have ever seen. I love how a major element of the book is brought to life on this cover, also the colours almost symbolize Ana's newness to the world, a fresh pallette of colour that only youth can bring. Apart from how the cover is connected to the story, I love how bright this cover is, setting it apart from many Young Adult covers that are very dark. In the eyes of a potential reader, this cover will stand out against other cover because of how bright it is. My favourite aspect of this cover apart from the brightness was the font that the gave an impression of old against the new feel of the colours and cover model.

The characters of this book were very interesting to their situations. Ana, a 'newsoul' or 'nosoul' as some refer to her as, is a social pariah; she represents the greatest fear of an entire population of people who are reincarnated over and over again. I liked Ana because she didn't want to step on toes and upset others, even though they were terrible to her, though she did grow out of it a little, standing up for herself more and more as the book progressed. As for Sam, I found him very elusive to begin with, not revealing much, but there for Ana when no one else was. He proved to have many surprises about him and a great romantic aspect to him as well. On the romantic side of things, there was a great chemistry about the two, teasing the reader tirelessly with small hints of what the relationship could become.

The story was the only part of the book that was a little lackluster. I found it slow to begin with, filling the reader in with all the necessary information for the rest of the story. When the story was finally moving, about a quarter of the way in, it never stopped or slowed leading up to the very excting ending that will leave readers begging for more. The writing of this story was my favourite part, it brought it to life with description and emotions. I very much enjoyed Jodi's style and the way she was able to make me enjoy a fantasy book, even when I don't normally enjoy this genre.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys fantasy or alternate world feelings, or just wants a good read. I give this book a 4/5 for being a great start to a new trilogy that I will no doubt be reading more of later on.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thanks for commenting! I love getting feedback or just say Hi!

Blog Lovin

Follow

Currently Reading

Walt Disney: An American Original

NetGalley

Professional Reader