Interview with Kelley York, author of Hushed

4:28 PM

1) How did you get the idea for Hushed?
From Archer. He came first. I had the idea for his character and began fleshing him out in my head by asking myself questions. He kills people for the girl he's in love with. Why? Because they did something terrible to her. What makes him change? Evan. And so on.

2) What was your favourite scene to write?
Ohh, that's tricky. Let's see if I can do this without spoiling anything. I enjoyed Archer and Evan's "just bones" conversation. I loved the dialogue in that, and Archer's state of mind at that point in the story was so fragile. I also loved Archer's with his mom at the funeral, or the big hospital scene.

3) Did you have a character that was more difficult to write?
No, not really. Evan's got a lot more going on in his head than he always lets show, so I had to dig deeper with him to figure out what his motivations and driving forces were.

4) Did you find the end of Hushed changed from how you planned it?
The ending changed more than once! When I first started, the entire story was meant to take a different path (although I didn't have an outline written or anything). As I wrote, that changed, and thus so did the ending I had in mind. Then the ending that I stuck with was altered during edits with my publisher, which I think is great because I love the changes.

5) What are three things you can't live without?
I'll assume people don't count. In which case, my computer, my music, and probably my warm, comfy throw blankets.

'Kelley York delivers in this impressive debut. I was at the edge of my
seat waiting to see what would happen next! Bottom line, this was
unputdownable!!!' --- YA Fantasy Guide ---


Author Bio:

Kelley was born and raised in central California, where she still resides
with her lovely wife, daughter, and an abundance of pets. (Although she
does fantasize about moving across the globe to Ireland.) She has a
fascination with bells, adores all things furry - be them squeaky, barky
or meow-y - is a lover of video games, manga and anime, and likes to
pretend she's a decent photographer. Her life goal is to find a real
unicorn. Or maybe a mermaid.


Within young adult, she enjoys writing and reading a variety of genres
from contemporary with a unique twist, psychological thrillers,
paranormal/urban fantasy and horror. She loves stories where character
development takes center stage.


Kelley's website: http://www.kelley-york.com/blog

Hushed - Synopsis:

He's saved her. He's loved her. He's killed for her.

Eighteen-year-old Archer couldn't protect his best friend, Vivian, from
what happened when they were kids, so he's never stopped trying to protect
her from everything else. It doesn't matter that Vivian only uses him when
hopping from one toxic relationship to another - Archer is always there,
waiting to be noticed.


Then along comes Evan, the only person who's ever cared about Archer
without a single string attached. The harder he falls for Evan, the more
Archer sees Vivian for the manipulative hot-mess she really is.


But Viv has her hooks in deep, and when she finds out about the murders
Archer's committed and his relationship with Evan, she threatens to turn
him in if she doesn't get what she wants...And what she wants is Evan's
death, and for Archer to forfeit his last chance at redemption.


Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Hushed-Kelley-York/dp/1937044742
Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/hushed-kelley-york/1033904538

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Great Interview! I loved Hushed so much!

    Natshane (Natasha)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love getting feedback or just say Hi!

Blog Lovin

Follow

Currently Reading

Walt Disney: An American Original

NetGalley

Professional Reader