Wildefire by Karsten Knight

10:27 AM

WildefireTitle: Wildefire
Author: Karsten Knight
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Release: July 26, 2011
Pages: 393
Series: Wildefire #1
Thanks to Simon & Schuster Canada for the Advance Copy!
Synopsis:
Every flame begins with a spark.

Ashline Wilde is having a rough sophomore year. She’s struggling to find her place as the only Polynesian girl in school, her boyfriend just cheated on her, and now her runaway sister, Eve, has decided to barge back into her life. When Eve’s violent behavior escalates and she does the unthinkable, Ash transfers to a remote private school nestled in California’s redwoods, hoping to put the tragedy behind her. But her fresh start at Blackwood Academy doesn’t go as planned. Just as Ash is beginning to enjoy the perks of her new school—being captain of the tennis team, a steamy romance with a hot, local park ranger—Ash discovers that a group of gods and goddesses have mysteriously enrolled at Blackwood…and she’s one of them. To make matters worse, Eve has resurfaced to haunt Ash, and she’s got some strange abilities of her own. With a war between the gods looming over campus, Ash must master the new fire smoldering within before she clashes with her sister one more time… And when warm and cold fronts collide, there’s guaranteed to be a storm.

Review:
When I recently saw this book on another blog I had to go read the synopsis immediately. When I read the synopsis I knew that I HAD to read this book. And then... SURPRISE! It showed up in the mail about a week later from Simon & Schuster Canada (it's like they can read minds!). I started it within seconds of recieving it and could not believe all of the shocking twists and turns that the story took!

The cover is such a good representation of the main character and all of those around her. She was a burning, beautiful flower whilst most around her are dull and normal. I also really loved the colour scheme as it was purple and eye catching. My two favourite things in a cover. Did I mention I really want to grow flowers just like that now? Well, minus the fire and smoke.

The characters of Wildefire were all unique and featured depth. They all had very intricate relationships with each other, especially for a group of individuals who were could not be anymore different. That group of individuals went through some serious drama from the first time they were all thrown together. I was very much a fan of the diversity that this book demonstrated in cultures. You had everything from the California surfer to the Haitian boy to the Japanese girl, all of whom just want to leave their dark pasts behind them. When you throw all of these characters together you get a stew of personalities that make for an awesome cast of characters.

Oh my goodness, the ending! It was so freaking unexpected and awesome and I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT! The writing was fantastic and always kept me on my toes and brain. One fact I didn't like too much was how much swearing there was at times, but apart from that, I always enjoyed the style of writing that Karsten had. It was interesting because it was quite descriptive. The story kept going at a crazy pace, always twisting around and throwing curve balls at you when you least expected them. Did I mention the ending?

I think that Wildefire was an awesome debut for Karsten Knight and I will definately be getting the sequel and any other books he writes for that matter. Wildefire gets a huge 5/5 for being one of the best debuts I have ever read.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Wildefire sounds awesome! I just got it in the mail this week and now I want to read it even more!! Awesome review! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came across this book/author on Twitter. The book looks amazing. Is it really based on Hawaiian mythology? If so, that makes me want it even more!! Hawaiian myths are so awesome. Well, all cultures have awesome myths. I will be adding this to my want list pronto.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I love getting feedback or just say Hi!

Blog Lovin

Follow

Currently Reading

Walt Disney: An American Original

NetGalley

Professional Reader