My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

2:44 AM

My Sister's KeeperTitle: My Sister's Keeper
Author: Jodi Picoult
Publisher: Washington Square Press
Release: February 1, 2005
Pages: 448
Series: None
Synopsis:
Anna is not sick, but she might as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and shots so that her older sister, Kate, can somehow fight the leukemia that has plagued her since childhood. The product of preimplantation genetic diagnosis, Anna was conceived as a bone marrow match for Kate -- a life and a role that she has never challenged...until now. Like most teenagers, Anna is beginning to question who she truly is. But unlike most teenagers, she has always been defined in terms of her sister -- and so Anna makes a decision that for most would be unthinkable, a decision that will tear her family apart and have perhaps fatal consequences for the sister she loves.

Review:
I recently broke one of my biggest life rules: Don't watch a movie before reading the book. I had rented My Sister's Keeper from the library, and had enjoyed it well enough, but my mom had pointed out that the two endings are very different. I didn't think I would get around to reading the book, so I Googled the ending. About a week later, it was announced that I would be reading the book in a group setting, which often ruins books for me. Needless to say, knowing the ending probably donated to my dislikes of this book. My biggest drawback of this book was the flashbacks and the lack of Kate in the story. Her story was told by everyone else, creating a lack of her point of view. Apart from that, I enjoyed the writing style Jodi had, not too mature and able to traverse many ages. The story itself could have been told in less pages, but it had a way of gripping you without much action. My favourite character was Anna because of her bravery and loyalty towards her family, and my least favourite was Sarah because she seemed to only care for one of her children. Altogether I give this book a 3/5 for being an okay read, with several major flaws.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thanks for commenting! I love getting feedback or just say Hi!

Blog Lovin

Follow

Currently Reading

Walt Disney: An American Original

NetGalley

Professional Reader